Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lesson One: Finding Principles

Finding Principles
Amid life's circumstances, pray always.  
Acts 12:5
While reading this scripture in particular, I felt impressed by the principle of praying always, no matter the circumstances you may find yourself in. In this day and age, prayer is one thing that cannot be taken from us. We may not always be able to pray verbally or in public, but we can always offer up a prayer within our hearts. I love the example that Peter gives us here. For even when he is captured and thrown into prison, he turns to the Lord in prayer. When so many of us would be downtrodden and thinking, "Why me?" he in all his humilitude prays to the Lord. There is so much we can learn from that. Furthermore, because of Peter's unwavering faith, the Lord then sends an angel to deliver him from captivity. This teaches me to always have a humble and believing heart full of faith and prayer--with that, all things are possible. It reminds me to turn to the Lord in prayer in times of joy and in times of trouble...literally in all things.
When we obey the promptings of the Spirit, we will be lead to bless the lives of others and ourselves. 
Acts 10
"While reading Acts 10, I couldn't help but admire Cornelius. Although it mentions that he was "a devout man, and one who feared God," he was not yet part of the Church, but he followed the directions of the angel that he saw in a vision nonetheless. Because of his prompt response to this vision, he was blessed to receive Peter into his home. It mentions that Cornelius gathered his family and close friends to hear what Peter had to say. Because he wanted to share the message with those he loved, Cornelius blessed his family and friends, as well as being blessed himself. Likewise, when Peter receives the prompting to go with the strangers that are at the door, he does not hesitate, but goes to Caesarea straight away. Because of his obedience, he blesses the lives of many."
             ~From a classmate of mine
     +my response: I love this as well. All too often we push aside a prompting or don't act as swiftly. This chapter
       in Acts helped me to see the importance of responding quickly to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. As you 
       said so wonderfully above...it is when we are obedient that the Lord can not only bless us, but bless those 
       around us, too. We miss great opportunities to serve when we are not prepared. We are not prepared when we
       do not obey. Thus, we must have keen ears and willing hearts so that we do not miss the promptings that come
       our way.
True Conversion
Acts 2:44 
"And all that believed were together, and had all things in common"
"I really liked understanding this principle because it was evidence of the true conversion among the people.  There were those in the beginning of this chapter who moccked the people who had been speaking in tongues saying that they were drunken.  However, after Peter reproved them and testified of the power of the Holy Ghost.  The people were moved upon by the Spirit and felt the prick in their hearts.  The contrast between how the people felt in the beginning and the end was very different.  Instead of judging others, they believed that they were all together and that all things were common among them.  True conversion is a change from what we were to something better.  I loved reading this chapter and understanding a little deeper the principle of true conversion."
              ~Another classmate of mine
        +my response: Wow. I read that chapter too and had loved it also but the principle you offer here of true
          conversion for some reason did not come to my mind. I love what you say here though, I went back and
          even highlighted that scripture because although it is short, it is powerful in meaning. Thank you for
          bringing this to my attention. I had not before thought of it in this way. Reading that verse also causes me
          to think of the friends we associate ourselves with and how we act towards those not of our faith. I can't
          help but think that we need to surround ourselves with uplifting people, always, however being kind and
          inviting to those not of our beliefs.

Optimism in your infirmities for suffering for Christs' sake 
Acts 5:40-41
"In acts 5:40-41 I learned a huge lesson about the sacrifices you have to make for this church but how to be optimistic while doing it. As I was reading about the apostles the Lord had left behind to do his work and how they had just poured out there testimonies preaching to the people and the pharisees shut them down and beat them, what they said next taught me so much. They departed rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name. I cross referenced if to Luke 6:22-23 which says that who so shall suffer even as I did for my names sake it shall be found well with me. I love that they showed so much love and dedication for this church that they could rejoice in their infirmities."
                 ~Another classmate of mine

No comments:

Post a Comment