Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lesson Three: Personal Journal

Enjoy Life, Endure Life...and Remember to do so with Patience

This week I feel like I have felt the need to become a better example to those around me. By this I mean I want to be a more righteous and loving daughter of God. To become that, I need to be quicker to love and forgive others. I need to be more aware of my thoughts and actions; for there is much I can improve upon in my life. After this week, I have realized how selfless some people in my life are and how I tend to take that for granted. I need to reciprocate that kind of love back to them. In doing so, I am showing a greater act of charity which will bring me one step closer to my Heavenly Father—and that is where I want to be. If I am living a more charitable life, it will only affect people around me in a positive manner. Likewise, if I associate myself with such people, I will be uplifted as well.
As I mentioned in one of my principles this week, “Life is not only to be endured but enjoyed.” I love that. Perhaps I love it so much because of who said it—President Hinckley. Here is a man who has lived a long and charitable life, and he is advising us to yes endure life, but also see that we enjoy it. There is so much to enjoy here on earth. If we ever get so busy that we cannot stop and ponder the simplicity of the flowers or the grandeur of the mountains or the mysteries of the night sky, then we are living a life with our eyes closed. We might as well be dead. I know that is blunt, but it is true. God has given us so much; we need to show our gratitude for all that we have by enjoying it the best we can. So I know I must enjoy life, and endure it. But I learned this week that in addition to that, I should strive to patiently endure life.  I never thought about it like that until this week when I was reading in 1 Corinthians 4:12. From that verse I learned that I need to endure all things for Christ’s sake patiently. This means to me that you have a calm sense of understanding and meekness about you. Not that you may understand your trial, but that you understand it is for your own growth. You remember and understand that all things we experience in this life are for our own good. (D&C 122:7)
One goal I made this week, too, was to review my day each night before I pray. I think it will help me to have a more meaningful and sincere prayer. Also, I want to be better at reviewing my whole week each Saturday night in preparation for Sunday when I take the Sacrament. I think in doing this it will help me to stay more focused on what I can do to be a more righteous and loving daughter of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment