Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lesson Four: Finding Principles


 +Study Acts 21-28; Romans

Romans 7:6
We serve in the newness of the Spirit of the law, not in the oldness of the letter of the law.

Romans 8:38-39
Nothing can separate me from God's love.


Romans 12:18
Live peaceably with all men.     


God's Love and Living Peaceably with All Men

Nothing can separate me from God's love. Romans 8:38-39
I love this scripture because it brings me great comfort knowing that nothing can separate me from the Love of God. Only I, myself, can separate me from God...but NEVER from His Love. His love is eternal. I then cross-referenced this scripture with Matthew 10:29-31. These verses caused me to think that yes, we make mistakes and fall, but we are numbered. God knows us. If He cares this much for a sparrow (as it says in Mat 10:29-31) oh how much more He must care about and love me. Looking then in Doctrine and Covenants 61:36, we hear God telling us that He has not forgotten us, for He is always with us. That again shows God's infinite love. Then, and perhaps my favorite, is in 2 Nephi 1:15 where it says "I am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love." There is no place I would rather be than in my loving Heavenly Father's arms. God's love is infinite, it is eternal, it is always with us. "Neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 8:38-39)

Live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18   
I really love this whole chapter. To me, Paul is giving us wise counsel--or steps rather--on becoming saints of the Lord. He exhorts us and explains to us to use our grace-given gifts as we live our lives. He then says to "be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." (Verse 21). One way we can do this is to see that we live peaceably with all men. We need to be peacemakers wherein we can be; whether that be within our families, co-workers, friends, etc.. I remember one (and literally only one) instance growing up when my older brother and I got into a little fight (over who knows what). Now my brother and I never fought. (My sisters and I...now that's another story ;)  But for some reason we were really upset and angry with each other. I was determined I was never going to talk with him again (even though he was my ride to seminary and we had lunch together at school every day). Well, one whole day went by. Stubborn me, I did not talk to him. The next morning, above my bed on the ceiling was a simple apology note from my brother. My day started out with a smile. Then on our way to seminary he verbally apologized to me. I could no longer be angry at him--then, or ever. He taught me so much that day. I learned a lesson on forgiveness, brotherly kindness, serving, loving and most of all...being a peacemaker. I testify that life is so much better and so much more enjoyable when we strive to bring peace into our lives and the lives of our neighbors.  

No comments:

Post a Comment