Monday, July 2, 2012

Lesson Five: Finding Principles




Ephesians 1:7 Through Christ we can be forgiven.

Ephesians 1:16 Pray for our brothers and sisters, our friends and enemies.

Ephesians 2:4, 8 God is merciful and through His grace and our faith we are saved. 

Ephesians 2:10 Walk with God in good works.

Ephesians 4:26 Do not go to bed angry.

Ephesians 6:1-3 Honor you parents.

Ephesians 6:6 See that you do the will of God with a sincere heart.

Ephesians 6:10-19 Stand strong--putting on the whole armor of God--in the gospel of Christ. 


Ephesians 6:24 Grace will be with all those who sincerely love our Savior and Redeemer, even Jesus Christ.

Philippians 4:13 Through the strength Christ gives me, I can do anything. 

1 Timothy 3:12 Be an example of a believer of Christ.

1 Timothy 3:14 Use my talents.

1 Timothy 6:12; 2 Timothy 4:7-8 Endure to the end to receive blessings from on high. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Do Not Go to Bed Angry And Endure to the End

Ephesians 4:26 Do not go to bed angry.
So I actually found quite a few principles in this selection of reading that I just loved. I chose to share this one because since I have been married, I have really come to more fully understand and appreciate this little bit of advice. The few times my husband and I have not seen eye to eye, and not resolved our silly little issues before falling asleep, NEITHER of us sleep well that night. I have learned, as this scripture points out, that we should not go to bed angry. It is just not worth loosing a good nights rest over...not to mention it can hurt your relationship. Now...on the contrary...some people say that they DO go to bed when it is late and they are in a pickle with their spouse because if it is late and they are tired, then they are not thinking clearly. Thus, they reason that going to bed and getting a good nights rest will help them think more rationally in the morning and they can then work out their problem. So this poses a dilema...which do you do? My answer...find out what works best for you and your spouse. For me, it usually means figuring it out that day/night so that my mind can rest peacefully and I can get a full nights sleep =D because...a good nights rest (for me) equals a happy me. I am not a morning person.

1 Timothy 6:12; 2 Timothy 4:7-8 Endure to the end to receive blessings from on high.
I chose to share this principle because life as we all know can get down right tough. But we need to remember not to loose sight of our end goal. We know why we are here. We know where we want to be when all is said and done. And I know I would give anything to here my Savior say, "Well done, Katelyn, thou good a faithful servant. You have fought a good fight. You have done all I have asked of you. You have finished your course, you have kept the faith. Welcome home." I know that if we each are faithful to the end, we will each be rewarded with "a crown of righteousness", or exaltation. What more can we ask for, what more could we want. I testify that that is the greatest gift--life eternal. As it says in D&C 14:7, "And, if you keep my commandments and endure to the end you shall have eternal life, which gift is the greatest of all the gifts of God." So be faithul and steadfast to the end, the final blessing will be well worth the work.

Classmates Responses:
I agree with your first principle, and my answer to your question would be solve the problem before you go to bed.  Chances are it is something so little that it can be resolved very quickly.  I find that not only do I not get a goods night rest I also think about the situation too much and begin to create a bigger problem, instead of solving a slimple problem.  I also stay upset the next day until it is talked about.  So the best is to get it over with and talked about, it makes for much better days. I also enjoyed your 2 principle about enduring to the end, I once heard someone say enduring to the end = joy. great post!

I like your first principle, it's one that at least I've never thought of as scriptural, but it's so cool that it really is! I am going to be getting married in a month, and like you, I can't be at peace until any miscommunication is talked about and put at ease! For me, the sooner it's talked about, the sooner understanding and forgiveness can take place for me. That's neat that you found that principle.

I really liked your first principle, and likwise to many others who posted on here, I really liked your first one. It was something that surprised me for one, and a principle I had never really solely heard before. But what you said is true. I have been recently married and have come to the realization of things you have mentioned personally. Reading scriptures with my spouse  before bed and saying prayer togther seems to help us a lot. It invites the spirit to be there, and helps unify us. Thank you again for your thoughts and principle. It was a good reminder to me.

Amen sister! I love your first principle! I have tried with my husband to not go to bed angry but just like your dilemma, we had to do what works best for us. When we are fighting and it's getting late, my husband and I try and take a timeout from the anger and go to bed. This really helps us get a good night's sleep and then we can think clearly in the morning. It is also helpful for us that before we go to sleep even if we just had an argument, we say that we love each other.









No comments:

Post a Comment