Monday, July 9, 2012

Lesson Six: Finding Principles


Hebrews 12:9 The Lord chastens us because He loves us.

Hebrews 13:2 Show love and hospitality towards all men. (A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief)

James 1:22-23 Don't just believe the gospel, LIVE the gospel.  

James 2: 17-18 Workless faith or faithless works, both are equally dead because they are alone.

James 2:22 Our faith is made perfect by our works.

James 3:16-18  See that we are peacemakers.

James 4:8  Draw closer to God and He will draw closer to you.

Peter 2:9 We are a peculiar people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Lord Chastens Out of Love, and Don't Pass up the Opportunity to Serve

Hebrews 12:9 The Lord chastens us because He loves us.
I know that the Lord chastens us so that we can be humbled to see, learn or become what He desires us to see, learn or become. I remember when I got into BYU-Idaho. I was not thrilled to say the least. I wanted to go to BYU and that was the end of it. Well, thank goodness for my dear mother who was so strong and in tune with the spirit. For neither of us knew why I needed to go to BYU-I, but even without that knowledge my mother insisted I go...much to my dismay. I was so high strung about going to BYU because that is where all my family has gone/is going and I just knew I was going to go there, too. It was all I had dreamed about. Well, apparently that Lord had other plans for me. He sent me here for a purpose. It was a rather humbling process, but a process that I needed to go through to become the person I am today. As I am now only a couple weeks away from graduating, I can honestly say that I have been blessed far beyond I ever could have imagined by coming here. Not only have I been able to gain my education here and meet wonderful people, I have been able to learn and experience so much. Above all, it is here that I met my eternal companion. That reason alone is reason enough for me to have come here. It is a testimony builder to me that sometimes it is necessary for us to take those three steps into the darkness before the light will come on. I had to come here, though I did not know why at first, to find my sweet and endearing husband. The Lord has blessed me beyond measure, and I am eternally thankful for that. I know that though it pains Him to do so, He often has to chasten us so that He can ultimately reach us. It pains my heart that it has to be that way at times, but we are only human and we make mistakes. But I know that when He chastens us, it is because He loves us so much. And I know that it is for our profit and learning. It is all apart of the refining process to help bring us closer to Him--which is where we long to be.

Hebrews 13:2 Show love and hospitality towards all men. (A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief)
I decided to expound upon this principle because I think it is something that is missing in our world today. All too often I think we forget that we are all brothers and sisters, sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. We get so judgmental, when really it is never our place in this life to judge one another. Rather, we should take advantage of every opportunity to serve our neighbor. We never know the other persons "story": where they are from, who their family is, what they are going through, etc.. And so I love how this simple verse says to not forget, "be not forgetful", to be hospitable towards others. Where we are able, share and give and love--live a life of charity. I know that is much easier said than done. But if we are at least more aware of it, then perhaps we will start to see it taking place in our lives. I then love how the second half of this verse says that in serving strangers, you may have indeed by serving angels of the Lord. It reminds me of the beautiful hymn "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief". Let us not pass up the opportunity to serve our fellow brothers and sisters; for in doing so, we may be passing up the opportunity to not only bless their lives...but our lives as well. When we take  moment to serve, at least two lives will always be enriched. 




No comments:

Post a Comment