Monday, July 2, 2012

Lesson Five: Teaching Activity





A man becomes a priesthood leader by first being called of God, by prophecy. Then by the laying on of hands by those with authority.

We know who has authority because they were called and ordained by someone who has authority over them. And that person received their authority over them and you can trace that all the way back to the Prophet, who received his authority from God.

Melchizedek was a man of faith. He also made peace among his people. He was referred to as the "king of heaven" or the "King of peace"

He calmed roaring lions, and stopped flaming fires. He restored righteousness to his people, so much that they sought after the city of Enoch. He was a man that lived after the manner of the people of the city of Enoch. He was righteous through and through. He also blessed Abram, an Old Testament prophet.

We call the greater priesthood the Melchizedek Priesthood out of reverence and respect for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to avoid repetition of His holy name.

I have a testimony of the Power of the Priesthood. I know that mighty miracles and great blessings can occur because of its power. I am thankful to have the holy and sacred priesthood in my life through worthy priesthood holders such as my grandfathers, father, father-in-law, brothers, husband and church leaders. My life is richly blessed because of it. There have been many times when I have been the recipient of such sacred blessings. I know that during those times I have truly felt my Savior near. I testify that He lives and is here to bless us, to help us, to carry us at times, and always to love us. Jesus Christ is the way, the life, the light. It is by Him and through Him that we can be exalted and receive eternal life.

I shared this lesson with my husband. It was great,  I think, for the both of us. Because even though he is a GREAT priesthood holder, we often forget little details. And those details often explain the why, the important aspects behind the principle. It was neat to be able to teach him a little of what I learned. Because before this, I really didn't know too much of the how and why behind the priesthood. I now have a greater understanding and appreciation for it. I also loved sharing some special experiences with my husband of where the priesthood as impacted my life. I am eternally thankful to have the priesthood ever present in my life and in my family's life.








No comments:

Post a Comment